Monday, July 13, 2009

Teapot Cake

This cake was work from the start! I enjoyed making it but I burned out my hand mixer in the process. I’ve had this $12 hand mixer for over ten years and it finally lost a battle to a cake batter, but I have to say Betty Crocker hand mixers are truly durable.

The bottom layer is a cake recipe I came across online called “White Wedding Cake”. I haven’t found a really good recipe for white cake yet, although I did like this one, I got mixed reviews. It wasn’t bad or anything it just didn’t have that “POP” of flavor that I wanted everyone to experience. The layered frosting consisted of white and dark chocolate.

And then there was the teapot! UGH with a smilie face… I started with a round metal mixing bowl and I baked my batter in that. It worked ok but after I had two half rounds I was a little perplex on how I was going to carve a teapot out of it. I went a little “carve crazy” and before you knew it my idea of a standing teapot turned into a pouring teapot. Only because I sliced a little too much off of one side but it worked out and I’m pretty happy with the end result.

The handle and the spout was a different story and that became Paul’s task. Since I make my fondant from scratch it never really hardens like the store bought fondant does. Paul somehow sculpted both attachments with a straw for reinforcement and of course he worked his magic and it came out wonderful.

The teapot was a lemon cake that I’ve made for years and is truly a favorite. I paired it up with a cream cheese frosting and it was a HIT!

My mom and her customers that came out for her 1 year anniversary loved it and that’s all that matters in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment